I find that people take my one-day property event or join my Mentoring Programme from many walks of life. Some of them are already involved with property in one form or another. They may be estate agents or developers. They may be architects or specialists of one sort or another. Equally they may be just ordinary people who want to achieve something extra-ordinary and build a property portfolio in order to look after their retirement and loved ones. The point is, you do not need any previous experience in order to succeed – and there are not many opportunities with this potential that can say that.
You might not need experience, but you do need some very specific qualities:
- You will need to be able to listen, study and learn. You will be receiving a lot of information, strategies, case studies, legal frameworks, and the bene it of all my experience – and I don’t hold back! You will need to be able to process and understand all the knowledge you will receive.
- You need to have the ability to make decisions and follow through. Opportunities can be lost if you spend too much time weighing up the pros and cons. Being a successful property entrepreneur doesn’t happen unless you are able to move quickly. As you will learn from some of my case studies, speed can be of the essence in a dog-eat-dog world.
- You will need to have integrity. You will be respected by your values. You will only succeed if people can trust you and rely on your word – especially when you are dealing with investors and private lenders. Your reputation needs to be spotless.
- You will need to be totally professional in everything you do. If you want to be the person that others feel confident in doing business with, you will need to conduct your affairs in a consistent, timely, predictable and professional manner.
- You will need to project confidence and competence. People need to feel that you are the right person to deal with.
- You need to have a positive mindset.After all, you are a provider of solutions and positive outcomes. Never forget, attitudes are contagious – make sure yours is worth catching!
- You need to have a vision for your future. You need to be goal centred, and determined to do what it takes to succeed. Would you do business with someone who didn’t know where they were going?
- Finally, you need to have a clear ‘why’. You need to know why you are prepared to go down this road. What drives you? What is your motivation for getting out of bed? Why are you passionate about this? You need to know!
There will be times when things go wrong; after all, we all live in the real world and not everything goes according to plan. When it doesn’t, you need to be able to remind yourself of why you are doing this in order to get back out there and continue. It is easy to lose heart and confidence when things go wrong. Always be able to anchor yourself with the reasons you set out on this journey, and you’ll soon get back on track.
As you will read later on in the book, there have been multiple times when my world has fallen apart. In the space of one phone call, I lost £1 million. That hurt. It hurt a lot. However, I was able to pick myself up, dust myself down and start all over again. Your motivation, and what drives you, are what you will need to be able to do this yourself.
If you look through the curriculum of my courses, don’t be put off by the amount of detail or the complexity of the subject. Yes, the journey to becoming a successful property investor and developer can be complicated at first and there is a lot to learn; however, you are not alone. When you read some of the positive comments that people have written having been on my courses, you will realise that you are a part of a very supportive community. You will make many new friends and useful contacts at our events, and you will find that everybody supports each other. We will always be there for you to help you achieve the big goals that you set for yourself.
The above article is an excerpt from my new book ‘ You too can become a property millionaire’ launching in November.
You can pre-order at the following links: